Yesterday, before officially wrapping up my "One at Marquette" project, I decided to write a quick blog post explaining my journey with this assignment. I did not feel up to writing my philosophy paper and I definitely had a lot to say about "One at Marquette." Well, that "quick" blog post turned into a 1200-word post. I broke down my long process month-by-month and included a few pictures to enhance the reading experience. I edited and then published it, because I had to go to my film class. I tweeted and posted on Facebook about my blog post, and then ran out the door. 

While in class, I happened to check my phone and got a notification about a tweet sent to me: 
@MarquetteU was referring to the picture below. I have been in love with this picture since the day I took it, so I was pretty ecstatic about the positive feedback it was getting. So I took my laptop, snuck out of class to sit with my computer in the hallway to give Marquette the go-ahead to use my picture. 
Marquette was pretty quick with getting my picture out there. As soon as I went on Facebook to notify the Fugees about this tweet, Marquette informed me that the picture was on their Tumblr and Pinterest accounts. Once again, I was happy to share this news with the Fugees. 
I was thrilled and humbled by the attention that my little blog was receiving. It brought the highest number of readers ever to my blog. But the real test would be the next day: when I present my project to my class. 
Today was the day I have been waiting for. I finally got to share my effort with the class. Professor Lowe randomly picked someone to go first. After that presentation was over, he asked who would like to go next. No one volunteered, so he began to pull up the project of a classmate who did not want to go next. As she voiced her protest I told Professor Lowe that I would be happy to go next. My classmate pleaded with him: "Brynne said she'd go next! She's the Eager Beaver! Let her go!"

Professor Lowe complied. But, instead of pulling up my project on the big screen, he pulled up my blog. "Uhhh my project isn't there," I thought to myself. He went to my post from yesterday. "Who's read this? Only me? Okay, read it now," he announced to the class. So I sat there, slightly awkwardly, as my class silently read my incredibly long blog post to themselves. I was met with positive feedback from my class and my professor called the post remarkable. All the attention was slightly embarrassing, but incredibly humbling and gratifying. 
After today's class period, Professor Lowe kept me afterwards for one of his famous "life meetings." Once again, he praised my work. But helped me find ways to improve it. We spent almost an hour editing my blog post from yesterday. He suggested putting my two previous blog posts, my final project and one more blog post (this one), into their own separate blog. Hence, my new "One at Marquette" blog. 

I spent the rest of the day working on the edits. I basically have not stopped all day. I worked through lunch, mentally edited as I sat through class, edited for five hours straight before I met my friends for dinner and of course, I edited through dinner. I even continue to work as my friends and I watch one of our favorite TV shows together. Okay, as *they* watch. 

I have reached the end of my blog post, which signifies reaching the end of my "One at Marquette" project. Once I finish these edits, I can finally make my project public to everyone. It's a little nerve-wracking to let this project out of my hands, but I'm confident it will do well in the world. Thanks to everyone whose been involved in the project, listened to my complaints or listened to me gush about my successes with "One at Marquette." It's been a blast! 

How will I procrastinate from my philosophy paper now? 


Leave a Reply


    This blog is dedicated to my Journalism 1550 final, "One at Marquette: Andrew Pauly."


    May 2012